Questions Jesus Asks: Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?

But to the one who had told him this, Jesus replied, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?”
Matthew 12:48 

While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.” He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”                  Matthew 12:46-50

One of our Florida students said it best in a recent chapel sermon.  “I want my spouse to be the second most important relationship in my life, and I want myself to be the second most important relationship in their life.”  So, if our spouse is #2, who then, is #1?  The answer, of course, is Christ!  It is from the abundance of our relationship with Jesus that all relationships flow – including those closest, most intimate family relationships.  When we are separated from Christ, we often find that our relationships follow suit. 

Jesus declares, ‘I come to give life, and give it in abundance.’  How is this abundant overflow of Christ’s love made evident in your life?

Share about a non-familial relationship that has been ‘as close as a brother or sister.’  Where was Jesus in that relationship?

What are the primary relationships in your life? 

Have you ever had to alter or re-evaluate a relationship in light of your relationship with Christ? 

How has your relationship with Christ affected your human relationships?

29 Responses to “Questions Jesus Asks: Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?”

• These passages give us as readers a very bold impression of our Christ. The impressively exclusive status Christ gives the Father in stating that whoever does the Father’s will is in fact relational to Him much like His mother is or His blood brothers are; really paints me a deeper understanding in the sense of prioritizing relationships. In other words, Christ’s mother’s relationship to Him was predicated on her relationship with the Father. That is the same for us. Yes Christ died for us. Yes He indeed loves us. However, our status to Him is predicated on our relationship to the Father.
    Through Him we have access to the Father. But there are ways to neglect the access. So I agree that we must find time with our Savior and cultivate an intimate relationship with our Father; fully taking advantage of the divine bridge created for all of us which is Jesus Christ that gives us a way to pass over.

• Furthermore, several other conditions can affect male infertility. It has been shown that some medications such as cimetidine, spironolactone, sulfasalazine and nitrofurantoin affect male fertility. Illicit drug use, excessive consumption of alcohol, history of exposure to occupational and environmental toxins, excessive heat and/or radiation could all negatively affect male fertility.

• Fantastic Blog, It’s good that you bought this topic to light. I think most people are kind of ingorant to this sort of toic

• Mens issues are sometimes always concentrated on the ego of men.;::

• men’s issues are always about money, career and women. those sort of things.:.~

• mens issues are almost always rooted on women, money and power”’

• i can say that most mens issues arise from women, ego, money and power. it always revolve around those things;`*

• mens issues are usually about power and money as someone pointed out*:”

• Fantastic article. I could not have detailed this much better. I don’t know if everyone will agree with you, but it really probably does not matter. Keep up the good work.

• there are many issues that bothers men but most of it is related to men’s ego `;’

• In searching for web sites associated to Internet internet hosting and specifically comparison internet hosting linux plan web,
    your site came up.
    You are a quite smart individual!

• I am really thankful to this topic because it really gives up to date information *.~

• This is a great article! I’d love more information. Thanks again!

• Thank you for the article. It is useful to me. After I read the article and been touched by this article I have always been to write. I will follow every article I read and then feel the wealth of knowledge Thank Finally I would like to leave my site. Available for any interested to visit. Musicians may be particularly like at all.Guitar Sale Cheap

• Super share it is definitely. We have been waiting for this tips.

• I’ve learn some excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you set to make this sort of excellent informative website.

• We have been waiting for this tips.

• It may not be easy to walk in the footsteps of Christ as we are all humans and we are bound to sin. But contemplating and being repentant of all the wrongdoings we have done in the past, and those that we may do in the future, I think is as good as soup for the soul.

• I’d like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this website. I’m hoping to see the same high-grade content by you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own, personal website now ;) Information http://normanhaga.tumblr.com/

• My husband and i ended up being really delighted Emmanuel managed to carry out his reports through the entire precious recommendations he came across out of the blog. It is now and again perplexing to just choose to be freely giving information which other folks could have been trying to sell. We know we have the writer to thank because of that. All the illustrations you made, the easy website navigation, the friendships you can help to foster – it’s everything great, and it is leading our son in addition to us do think that situation is entertaining, and that is truly important. Thanks for everything!

• Greetings,

Where did you learn all this stuff from? You’re a damn genius. Do you eat and sleep ever? Yeah, Amazeballs post, but up your social signals. LOL

May you never see another rainy day.

• Morning,

Boy, you really know your stuff. I could never have learned all this social stuff my whole life. An extra description or two would have nailed this to the wall. Obviate your date as well, my inner critic says.

May you see sunny days always.

• After all, we are all brothers and sisters in Christ.

• I bid you good morning,

My nerdy brother got me onto this page. For once, I totally agree with him. Even for on a top educational site, it rocks. Hi 5 Man. Oh, BTW how do I get your marvelous authorship into my emails?

May sunshine visit you, all your days

• So true! Our other relationships are nothing without having first the relationship with Christ.Strengthening it first, the rest will follow.

• i like her yes
    It may not be easy to walk in the footsteps of Christ as we are all humans and we are bound to sin. But contemplating and being repentant of all the wrongdoings we have done in the past, and those that we may do in the future,