Questions Jesus Asks: Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?

But to the one who had told him this, Jesus replied, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?”
Matthew 12:48 

While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.” He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”                  Matthew 12:46-50

One of our Florida students said it best in a recent chapel sermon.  “I want my spouse to be the second most important relationship in my life, and I want myself to be the second most important relationship in their life.”  So, if our spouse is #2, who then, is #1?  The answer, of course, is Christ!  It is from the abundance of our relationship with Jesus that all relationships flow – including those closest, most intimate family relationships.  When we are separated from Christ, we often find that our relationships follow suit. 

Jesus declares, ‘I come to give life, and give it in abundance.’  How is this abundant overflow of Christ’s love made evident in your life?

Share about a non-familial relationship that has been ‘as close as a brother or sister.’  Where was Jesus in that relationship?

What are the primary relationships in your life? 

Have you ever had to alter or re-evaluate a relationship in light of your relationship with Christ? 

How has your relationship with Christ affected your human relationships?

31 Responses to “Questions Jesus Asks: Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?”